Monday, November 8, 2010

what's new!!

So you thought I fell off the face of the earth but watch out I am back!!
Over this past year I completed another Ironman, #8 Ironman Couer D'Alene- not my best race- but I finished! I realized after finishing the race that I needed a break from training and racing so I took some time off training to focus on my coaching. I coached 12 athletes for a variety of differnt triathlon and running races throughout the summer. I took the time to train with my athletes, drive to thier races and cheer them on. Wow is that a powerful experience!!
I started a run group through the Salomon Store for begginer and intermediate runners, which was another amazing expereince. Getting people out of their comfort zones to try something new, not be discouraged but eager to come back and try again is a challenge. Thanks to Wendy Wheeler who helped me out by running with the more expereinced runners I was able to stay with the beginners and help them out.
For the past two months I have been enjoying the beautiful fall weather and getting outside to run the trails- that is the best time to run them! The air is crisp, the trails can sometimes be muddy ,which is fun, and the colors are amazing.
I have also been training my brain and body by taking a variety of courses from Psychology- Choice Theory, Blood lactate testing- completed my FaCT Level 2, to core and balance retraining for endurance athletes. Just like an athlete who wants to become stronger and more competitive, I am taking courses so I can do this through coaching!! There is so much to learn and it makes it much more powerful when you can share that knowledge with others and watch them excel!!
The other thing I learned by taking all these courses is that I need to keep challenging myself ,trying new things, new training techniques for my body and my brain and pushing past my own limits to reach new levels of fitness.
As for 2011 I have some great opportunities ahead of me- I am one of the run leaders for the Whistler Half Marathon so I will be creating and training many people from Whistler and beyond to complete the First annual Whsitler Half Marathon, I am organizing the Mountain Marathon for the 2011 Out Games to be held in Vancouver and Whistler and I am creating a Multisport Racing and Training Club in Whistler.
Stay tuned to learn about more of all my adventures!

No comments: